St. Vincent de Paul Parish in Mission Hills was established in 1910.
The Vincentian Fathers, who staffed the parish for its first twelve years, named the parish for their patron saint, St. Vincent de Paul. During these early years the original and, which had three houses on it, was transformed into a rectory and a church. In 1922 the Augustinian priests were assigned to the parish, and then in 1925, when the Augustinians were transferred to St. Patrick's Parish, diocesan priests were permanently assigned to St. Vincent de Paul Church.
Here is a picture of the original church and the neighborhood around 1941.
In 1948, Monsignor Patrick Dunne, serving as pastor, determined that it was time for the parish to take the next step in serving the community. Plans were drawn up for a parish school and construction was completed in two years. Monsignor Dunne invited the Dominican Sisters of Tacoma, Washington, to staff the school. Because of increasing enrollment, two classrooms were added in 1959.
The Dominican Sisters were transferred in 1969, and the pastor at that time, Monsignor Peter Mimnagh, invited a group of Mercy Sisters from Ireland to staff the school. The school continued to expand and in 1983 another new classroom was built. Over the next twenty years, new instructional and enrichment programs were added to the school day, which necessitated an increased staff that now includes part time teachers for music, Spanish, physical education, art, and computer education, in addition to the Kindergarten through eighth grade faculty. In 1988 an extended care program was offered, both before and after school to support the needs of working parents, and an after-school sports program was initiated, staffed by parents and volunteers. A computer lab; a multi-purpose room, and an additional classroom were added in 2003.
From 2005-2010, Msgr. Dennis Clark undertook to renovate the Church to its current look and feel. Part of this renovation included tearing down the old rectory and building our current Preschool in 2010. This new building allowed us to add a dedicated science lab and a new library above the preschool for our k-8 school.
Since 2010, the physical plant has been updated to renew and refresh the facilities. A new electrical system was installed, and Phase I of the technology improvement plan was completed, carpeting has been replaced in the hallways and stairs, new flooring installed in the first and second-grade classrooms, blinds have been installed in five classrooms, with lock-down shades for classroom doors, and a rechargeable cart with 30 notebook computers for seventh and eighth grades was purchased, as well as Promethean boards, which were installed in every grade and the science room. Security cameras were temporarily installed with completion and permanent installation completed in 2019 as part of Phase II of the technology plan.
Late in 2016, Father (now Bishop) John Dolan and the Diocese agreed to accept the Historic Jones House from Scripps Mercy, and an agreement was negotiated for interior and exterior restoration. Ideally this would be the new rectory for any priests assigned to St. Vincent de Paul Parish, School, and Preschool.